Ableton Announces Live 7, New Add-on Instruments and Ableton Suite
(Ableton | Posted 2007-10-05)
Ableton is excited to announce a range of new products to be released before the end of 2007: Ableton Live 7, several new add-on instruments, and Ableton Suite, a product that combines Live 7 with a choice selection of instruments in one comprehensive, discounted package.
Ableton Live 7
Version 7 renews the core of Live.
- The enhanced audio engine improves fidelity with 64-bit mix summing, POW-r dithering, optimized sample-rate conversion and other advances.
- The new compressor device integrates three compression models, one of which is based on a feedback design commonly found in the most praised vintage compressors.
- Fully integrated side-chaining capability is available for the new Compressor as well as Gate and Auto Filter.
- High-Quality modes have been added to Operator, Dynamic Tube and Saturator for anti-aliased processing, reducing typical "digital" artifacts.
- EQ Eight has an improved user interface and a 64 bit mode for increased accuracy.
The new Spectrum analyzer provides visual feedback for any audio signals within Live (and it looks really cool!).
- The MIDI engine has been reworked to minimize timing error (jitter) of recorded MIDI.
- Hardware integration has been streamlined—hardware synthesizers and effects can now be inserted into device chains just like software plug-ins.
- New memory management technology allows users of large sample libraries, such as Ableton's new sampled instruments or third-party libraries imported via Sampler, to run an impressive number of instruments at the same time. This happens automatically, with no setup changes required.
- New Audio and MIDI fact sheets explain exactly how signals are (or are not) being modified when using specific features in Live and provide tips for achieving the highest quality results.
Live 7 brings the features most frequently requested by our users.
- Time signature changes can be inserted in the Arrangement timeline and tied to Session scenes.
- Warped and unwarped video can be exported to files.
- Multiple automation lanes per track can be displayed and edited at the same time.
- A new "tempo nudge" function makes it easier to synchronize to live musicians or DJs.
- REX files can be dragged, dropped and played just like WAV or AIFF files.
- Live, Operator and Sampler have received many small improvements and additions based on users' requests.
The new "Drum Rack" streamlines beat production via an easy drag-and-drop interface and brings endless creative possibilities.
- A familiar drum pad interface allows dragging and dropping of samples, instruments and effects.
- Every pad can have its own Sampler, Simpler, Operator, or any other virtual instrument or plug-in, and its own individual effects chain.
- The slicing feature fills a Drum Rack with the individual hits from REX or audio loops. The original sequence is represented as a MIDI clip, making it easy to replace, reshuffle or re-record the events and process them individually.
- A Drum Rack can have its own sends, returns and sub-mixes.
- Every pad can be shown as a mixer channel in the Session View.
- Each drum can be dragged out of its rack for isolated pattern control and editing.
New Ableton Instruments
The new add-on instruments are the result of Ableton's collaboration with leading industry partners. The palette covers physical models of electric pianos, analog synthesizers and string instruments as well as multi-mic/multi-layer sampled acoustic drums, drum machines, orchestral strings, brass, woodwinds and percussion. The instruments integrate tightly with Live, both in terms of workflow and resource management.
Tension is a physical modeling string synthesizer based on the advanced technology found in String Studio from Applied Acoustics Systems. Through the use of mathematical models, Tension simulates each component of a stringed instrument. Tweak everything from how the string is played—with a pick, bow or hammer—to the size and type of instrument body used. Create incredibly accurate reproductions of real instruments or design otherworldly hybrids, all within Live's familiar working environment.
Electric offers the much sought-after sounds of classic electric pianos. Based on AAS' acclaimed Lounge Lizard, Electric uses the same advanced physical modeling synthesis technology and integrates perfectly into Live's workflow. Because Electric uses synthesis, users can dive inside and play with the guts of the instrument—the hammers, tines, pickups and more—to achieve just that right amount of melancholy or bark and bite.
Analog emulates the unique circuitry and irresistible tweakability of vintage analog synthesizers, employing the renowned physical modeling technology of AAS' Ultra Analog. Analog is a creative workhorse that features versatile alias-free oscillators, multi-mode filters, syncable LFOs, looping envelope generators and much more. Able to produce everything from silky pad sweeps to earth-shaking bass, Analog is also completely integrated in Live's familiar interface.
Session Drums is a meticulously multisampled library of acoustic drums that reproduces the nuances of a recording session and puts you in the engineer's seat. Session Drums gives you full control of the close mics for each drum as well as the overheads and room mics, so you can craft the perfect drum mix for your songs. Session Drums also includes stereo kits appropriate for various musical styles and a variety of MIDI grooves to speed up the production process. Session Drums was created in collaboration with ChocolateAudio, makers of the critically acclaimed "Imperial Drums."
Drum Machines offers a choice selection of classic drum machines, meticulously sampled and programmed by Ableton content developer PureMagnetik, to faithfully reproduce the original sounds. Drum Machines is easily tweaked with cleverly mapped controls, allowing users to experiment with the inner workings of the instrument and adjust to taste.
Orchestral Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion—four collections of sampled orchestral instruments featuring a number of variations and articulations, created in partnership with SONiVOX, a leading provider of premium sampled instruments. Recorded with the expertise of world-class musicians, engineers and producers, these collections put a world of authentic symphonic possibilities at the composer's fingertips. The Orchestral Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion collections take advantage of complete integration with Live and its new resource-efficient sample engine, allowing users to work with an impressive number of instruments in their compositions.
Essential Instrument Collection 2—a multi-gigabyte collection of meticulously sampled and selected instruments, offering a choice selection of acoustic and electric pianos, guitars, bass, drums, orchestral strings, brass, woodwinds and more. Version 2 adds acoustic and electronic drums as well as presets optimized for better sound quality and faster loading.
Ableton Suite is a combination of Live 7 plus a choice selection of Ableton instruments. This attractively priced package provides a comprehensive set of musical tools, all smoothly integrated into Live's acclaimed workflow. The download version of Ableton Suite includes Live 7, Sampler, Operator, Electric, Analog, Tension and Drum Machines. The boxed version of Ableton Suite additionally includes the Essential Instrument Collection 2 and Session Drums.
All announced products will be released within Q4, after extensive testing and bugfixing. The first round of beta testing for Ableton Live 7, Analog, Electric and Tension is starting today with a limited participant group. A public beta version of these products will be available soon.
Visit www.ableton.com for more information.
Ableton develops modern software technology to inspire creative people. Since the company started in 1999, Ableton has attracted an extensive and highly committed community of musicians, composers, and DJs worldwide. Currently, Ableton counts about ninety employees in its Berlin and New York offices. The company has received outstanding press, awards and customer feedback since the unveiling of Live in October 2001.
Ableton Live accompanies every stage of the musical process, from creation to production to performance. In the creative stage, Live is transparent, intuitive and responsive, capturing inspiration and encouraging the flow of musical ideas. During production, Live provides all of the professional tools and studio compatibility required to complete and perfect projects. On stage, Live delivers the expressive control and stability that innumerable performing artists have come to rely on.
About Applied Acoustics Systems
Applied Acoustics Systems was founded in 1998 and is based in Montreal, Canada. It is a privately-held company specializing in innovative audio products for PCs. Applied Acoustics Systems flagship product, the Tassman, a software-synthesizer program for amateur and professional musicians, as well as audio post-producers, is distributed worldwide through retail, direct and Internet sales. www.applied-acoustics.com
ChocolateAudio was established in 2003 and focuses on producing and developing high-quality sample libraries for both professionals and amateurs. While drums were their main focus for the first years, ChocolateAudio is now expanding its sampled arsenal in order to cover the most-requested instruments along with some rare offerings. www.chocolateaudio.com
SONiVOX, from Sonic Network, Inc., is a suite of sound products that provide leading audio technology and content to a wide array of customers, from professional musicians to mass mobile consumers. SONiVOX products are licensed in several markets, including wireless devices, PCs, games, software applications and music synthesizers, as well as sold directly to end users. www.sonivoxmi.com
Puremagnetik is a pioneering subscription service for downloading Ableton Live sound content. Developed by some of Ableton's own sound designers, Puremagnetik publishes compact and powerful Micropaks on a monthly basis. With an ever-increasing catalog of innovative products, Puremagnetik offers a unique and affordable way for Live users to expand their collection of sounds. www.puremagnetik.com