Warwick Alien acoustic bass breaks new ground
(Dave Molter | Posted 2010-03-16)
German bass maker Warwick has unveiled a new 5-string acoustic electric bass that Warwick says "fills the gap between the double bass and the electric bass."
The Alien It provides a wealth of new opportunities for expression and adds an extra dimension to the musician's domain. Unusual styling in the convenient cutaway, the off-center asymmetric soundhole, add to the uniqueness of the overall shape and warm tones of this acoustic model. The top and body are both laminated for increased durability in stage use.
Equipped with the Fishman Prefix™ Plus acoustic guitar system, it provides a variable notch filter, shelving bass & treble, semi-parametric contour and brilliance controls for precise tone shaping. There is also a phase reversal switch and low battery indicator. Even without amplification, the basic character is evident; a growling tone across the instrument's full range with a big bottom. Unlike all other Warwick basses, the Alien is not manufactured in Germany. Built in Vietnam by a well-known acoustic builder to Warwick's exacting specifications, using technology and components supplied by Warwick. They were chosen for their proven acoustic expertise as well as meeting the demanding standards of Warwick.
The Alien Acoustic Bass is available as righthanded version (fretted & fretless) as well as lefthanded version (fretted & fretless) and in 4- or 5-string models.
* Acoustic Bass, set neck
* available as 4- and 5-string
* Available as right-handed or left-handed*, as well as fretted and fretless* models
* Laminated Spruce top, bottom and sides made of laminated Ovangkol
* Mahogany neck
* Rosewood fingerboard
* Scale length: 34" (long scale)
* 24 frets
* Fishman Prefix™ Plus Acoustic Guitar System (incl. Preamp and Acoustic Matrix Pickup)
* Natural Satin Finish
* Warwick tuners
* Ebony bridge, metal tailpiece
* Chrome hardware
* Warwick security locks
* Just-A-Nut III
* Nut width: 38.5 mm
* Weight**: 2.8 kg
* Warwick Acoustic Bass strings: .045" - .105"
* Including Warwick "User Kit"
* Including "Premium Line Plus" RockBag® for Acoustic