Tannoy releases new line of Reveal Active studio reference monitor
(Dave Molter | Posted 2010-03-29)
The original Tannoy Reveal Active near field monitor has become an iconic fixture in recording studios across the world since its arrival in the mid-nineties, widely recognised as the product that defined the category and has been the active monitor of choice for thousands of amateur and professional recording, creative composition and postproduction facilities worldwide. Building upon this world-class reputation, the all new Tannoy Reveal Active series represents the latest evolution of Tannoy’s high resolution active reference monitor technology.
With the benefit of being active (self-powered), the Reveal501a’s perfectly matched integrated amplifier ensures maximum efficiency from the 5” woofer and 1” soft dome tweeter and removes any need for a separate power amp. Response has been optimized for quarter space near field operation, such as on a meter bridge or on a table either side of your control surface, while independent gain control is provided on the rear panel, along with HF trim control, to allow fine tuning.
The low distortion 5” LF/MF driver voicing has been enhanced to deliver a natural and accurate ultra-linear response in the low and midrange frequencies, while the wide bandwidth tweeter extends the amplitude response beyond the 20kHz audibility threshold to 30kHz to improve the phase response within the audible band. This preserves the harmonic structure of sounds and the stability of the stereo image, ensuring stunningly accurate mix translation.
The rigid MDF cabinet construction provides stiffness and minimises colouration, while internal bracing of the sides and rear against the back of the bass driver provides a rigid reactive mass for the moving cone assembly; this ensures fast tight bass response and clear midrange. The curved edged design of the front baffle helps eliminate diffraction, while the front-firing bass port avoids the problem of exaggerated bass response as a result of boundary-coupling – a pitfall inherent with rear-firing designs when positioned close to a wall. The new elliptical tweeter waveguide has also been optimised to control high frequency directivity and minimise diffraction, ensuring a wide and even sweet spot.
Both balanced XLR and unbalanced TRS jack inputs complete the versatile package, ensuring the Tannoy Reveal501a is easily integrated into any home or project studio with the minimum of fuss.
Integrated 60W total power amp unit
* 5” (130mm) LF/MF driver and 1” (30mm) soft dome tweeter delivering wide frequency response of 64Hz – 30kHz
* Sculpted and rigid front baffle design to minimize diffraction
* Response has been optimised for quarter space near-field operation, such as on a meter bridge or on a table either side of your control surface.
* Front firing reflex bass port to negate boundary-coupling
* Bass unit development using to minimise offsets and linearise the suspension components.
* Wideband tweeter design extending the amplitude response beyond 20kHz audibility to 30kHz to improve the phase response from within the audible band.
* LED indicator shows power status
* + 1.5 / 0 / -1.5dB HF trim switch for custom room adjustment
* Rear mounted volume control for convenient Home Studio and PC/MAC laptop/desktop use.
* Balanced XLR and unbalanced jack connectors
Compiled from information on the Tannoy website: www.tannoy.com