Molten Voltage releases programmable MIDI Interface for Digitech Whammy 4
(Dave Molter | Posted 2010-04-19)
Molten Voltage, a guitar and audio effects and accessories manufacturer located in the Cascade Range in Oregon, has released the Molten MIDI 2™ , a programmable MIDI stompbox that offers five new ways to control the Digitech Whammy 4™. Molten MIDI 2 also doubles as a synchronized or stand-alone MIDI Clock source for all your MIDI devices.
Molten MIDI 2 stores 15 programs at a time, that are created manually or using a slick computer-based Programming Utility. The Programmer lets you trade files and share favorite loops and settings (download the programmer at MoltenVoltage.com).
Programs can be up to 16 steps each, and come in 5 different flavors:
1) Loop Portamento programs cycle through sequences of virtual expression pedal positions. “Portamento” means you hear the Whammy “slide” from one step to the next, rather than “jump”, as if the expression pedal is moving.
2) Loop, No Portamento programs are just like the Portamento version, except Whammy doesn’t “slide” from one position to another, it “jumps”.
3) Step Portamento programs step through sequences of virtual expression pedal positions each time the Step button is pressed. As the Whammy changes to a new “virtual” position, you hear it “slide” up or down to the new position.
4) Step, No Portamento programs are just like the Portamento version, except Whammy doesn’t “slide” from one position to another each time Step is pressed, it “jumps”.
5) Different Settings programs step through selected Whammy settings each time the Step button is pressed. The virtual position of the expression pedal is not affected.
Molten MIDI 2 lets you hear notes that aren’t normally available on the Whammy, then sequence those notes into elegant harmonies and improbable riffs.
The programs are selected using the footswitches and are indicated using the Whammy’s own LEDs. The Whammy works normally when Molten MIDI 2 isn’t sending data.
When configured in Whammy & Clock mode, Molten MIDI 2 sends synchronized MIDI Clock data whenever a Loop is playing. You can use the MIDI Clock output to control sequencers, drum machines, and other MIDI-based effects like the BOSS Slicer [SL-20].
What’s more, Molten MIDI 2 sends parallel Program Change and Song Select data to keep all your MIDI devices on the same page.
Even if you don't own a Whammy, in Clock Only mode, Molten MIDI 2 works as a tap tempo MIDI Clock generator.
* Molten MIDI 2 to the stock Whammy pedal with a standard MIDI cable.
* Molten MIDI 2 requires a 9 volt, 2.1 mm, tip positive, DC power supply. Standard 5-pin MIDI cable and power supply are available separately.
* The computer-based Programming Utility requires Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, and an attached Standard MIDI Output Device.
The Molten MIDI 2 carries an MSRP of $109 USD and is available at MoltenVoltage.com and other retailers.
More information and an entertaining VIDEO are available on Molten Voltage’s product page:
From a Molten press release.