Encore EA255 Reviews 4

For an 'entry level'guitar, not much. As I said, it's a no frills instrument, no mother of pearl, etc but I don't care for 'glow in the dark' guitars anyway - why spend good money on frills that don't affect the sound! I understand that at one time, Encore used a scratchplate with the brand name written all over it - very tacky I'm sure. My guitar has a plain black scratch plate so no problem.

These guitars are mass produced in China (as are lots of other makes) but, even so, the quality and construction is quite good. It is a dreadnought style, non cutaway, top is laminated spruce, back and sides laminated nato, fretboard rosewood, tuners sealed chrome, workmanship is good. It is fitted with a passive (no battery) undersaddle transducer with volume and tone slide controls. Because the transducer is unpowered, the signal going to the amplifier is weaker than a normal (powered)electro-acoustic so you will need to tweak the amp controls a little - when you get it right it sounds quite respectable. As I said earlier, the action was higher than I like (just like most guitars I've tried 'off the shelf'). I deepened the nut cuts slightly, tensed up the truss rod a little (neck concavity was approx 1.5mm at middle of fretboard - I took it to virtually straight)and reduced depth of saddle by about a third. Action is now about 4mm at 12th fret. It's well worth using good quality strings on these guitars - they improve the sound even more. I've tried a few different makes and gauges over the last couple of months and have settled on Martin SP Phospor Bronze 11's - I use the same make 10 gauge on my Crafter but the slightly heavier weight suits lower tunings better. I keep the guitar tuned to standard D (DGCFAD) which is normal tuning down one tone (this is a good tuning to use when playing with friends because the different voicings of the transposed chords give some nice colour to whatever piece you're playing) . And from there it's easy to tune up to open D (DADF#AD) or down to open C. I use a variant open C (CGCEGC) - which is open D down a tone. This is a very low tuning and can cause problems on some guitars but the Encore handles it fine.

From some of the comments you see in these reviews, I was expecting a completely rubbish guitar. On the contrary, it's not at all a bad instrument: quality and construction are reasonable; playability is OK and, with a little adjustment, very good; sound is bright and clear and as good as any laminate guitar, even ones costing much more (like bottom end Martin's for example?).

Simon rated this unit 4 on 2004-06-02.

the guitar has a deep crisp sound.

nothing at the moment.

the quality of this guitar seems to be of a high standard.

If you are starting out i don,t think you could go wrong buying this guitar , Iam happy with it but i thik you will just have to give it a try for yourself.

kevin rated this unit 4 on 2003-12-01.