Esteban Beginner's Guitar Pack Reviews 4

"Northern Response" (Canadian distributor of "AS SEEN ON TV" stuff) -- USD $99.00 + 29.95 S&H, includes nylon "case" (which is basically a duffel bag shaped like a guitar, definately needs replacing if the instrument leaves my house), DVD for beginners by Esteban, 5 or 6 picks, guitar strap, and an extra set of strings. OH! and this AMAZING cd by the master himself :P (no idea if it's any good, haven't opened it)

It has a nice sound, it looks pretty, unlike some of the others reviewed, mine has a nice smooth finish. Stays in tune pretty well. The video really is for beginners, starts from how to hold the guitar, tuning, picking, strumming.

The action is really high, it's extremely hard to play the 4th string on the 1st fret, nearly impossible. Fingers were completely numb the next day, but I don't play guitar so that's probably normal - though I didn't expect them to be THAT sore :/ However, after a few times playing, I'm getting used to it and I don't have much trouble playing the aforementioned notes. The way I see it, if I can get the chords to come out on this guitar, and learn to play relatively fast, then when I'm ready to upgrade to a better guitar, I'll instantly seem much better simply by being able to play on a shitty guitar.

From what I can tell, it seems nice enough. The joints are all smooth and seamless, the finish is consistant and shiny. It could be better, but what do you expect for 100$ with accessories?

You get what you pay for. It's a 100$ guitar, and I expect it to endure like a 100$ guitar. That said, it has a really nice sound, holds its tune, and is enjoyable for me to play. I would probably buy a guitar from a shop if I did it over, but I was sick of waiting and this was a chance to get one right away. Overall, I'm satisfied.

Mercedes rated this unit 4 on 2004-07-25.