Fender '74 Thinline Telecaster Reissue Reviews 4

I bought this particular guitar new at Guitar Center. It initially caught my attention because of the f-hole and the double coil pickups. I paid 650$.

I really love it's tone. The fender double coil pickups are unique looking and are surprisingly very large sounding. Coupled with its semi hollow design, this guitar has become a trusted companion that can play blues, jazz, country, and in a pinch even rock. I have been using it for about 3 years and I always seem to come back to it. A true workhorse that has never let me down.

First I have to say that the neck, although extremely playable, has only 21 frets. Even though I hardly ever need any more, the ability to go all the way up to 22, or better yet 24, can come in mighty handy. Also, for the money, Fender gives you the hardware from 1974 (yuck).I have already bought new tuning machines, and I plan to update the bridge saddles.

The finish is great, clear coat over a natural piece of wood. It has taken quite a bit of abuse and still looks great. The neck is a bolt on and is still rock solid. The switch has held up great, 3 years and counting, still no popping and hissing when I switch pickups. All in all, this has proven to be a very solid and reliable instrument. It acompanies me to every gig as a backup and if the mood strikes, as my number one. What this guitar lacks in sparkle paint, intricate inlays and binding, or fancy hardware, it more than makes up for in reliability.

If you are looking for a great sounding instrument that won't let you down, look no further. But you might want to consider an extra set of machine heads if you purchase one of these beauties.

Larry McCoy rated this unit 4 on 2003-11-12.