Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue MIM Reviews 5

I recently bought the walnut model of the '72 Telecaster Deluxe Re-issue. I've played guitar for about 13 years now. I currently play a Fender Jazz Bass in one of the two bands I'm in but am using this for home recordings as sort of a catch all guitar. I'm recording some soul music, some softer Damien Rice-esque type of music, and some progressive modern rock like the band The Receiving End of Sirens.

I bought this guitar from a guy off of craigslist for 400 bucks... (an amazing deal) and he had played it only a few times and decided he didn't really need it. He had boughten it for his son to have a new electric... not knowing his son had actually bought himself the same model.

www.myspace.com/alphachildren

Sound is buttery, very smooth. A healthy amount of bass response which i like. I tend to lean more towards Les Paul's because i like the bass response but this guitar kinda gives me the best of both worlds for the price. I feel like the warmth in the pickups and the brighter body styles of the teles just work well together.

The stock setup on this guy is not ideal... The action is a bit high... and i really had to play with the humbucker height to get the sound i want... but in reality I think everyone should spend the time with their electric guitars to play with both of these and see what suits both your play style and what really works for the guitar. My only real complaint is based on personal taste... i'm not big on gloss necks.

Construction pretty solid. I would just be careful, some of these models come with a flaw where the high E string tends to sit off of the fretboard. Before ever purchasing one of these make sure to look down the neck and confirm that the alignment is on.

I give this guitar two thumbs up. I think that it really lends itself to a catch all guitar. I also personally really liked the walnut finish and thought it was beautiful. The sound is great, the feel is great once you get the action where you want it, and it really is just a comfortable guitar.

john borba rated this unit 5 on 2010-04-26.

Down sides are few - the tuners are vintage so the gear ratio is low - hey this IS a reissue and technology has changed in everything - including tuners. A small problem with a loose pick up was immediately repaired by the dealer. This is a heavy guitar. Not for those with soft shoulders, but it is nicely balanced.

Lost of less than complimentary things have been written about the first runsd of Mex made Fenders. I own a doxen guitars of various makes in both middle and high end price points, and this is the third one MIM Fender I have purchased. They are good guitars and represent good value for money. The 72 tele deluxe reissue is no exception. Besides, who wants to take their classic axe into to bar with all the smoke and risk having some bar fly spill stuff on it? This is a great guitar, well constructed with superb sound for a guitar in this price range. The gig bag is very nice, but a hard shell case is warranted at this price point.

In summary, this is a very affordable, well made, great sounding reissue blues/ classic rock guitar for intermediate and serious players alike. Consider changing the tuners. Well done Fender!

Dwight O\'Hane rated this unit 4 on 2004-08-03.