Fender American Vintage 70's Thin-Skin Stratocaster Reviews 4

I've been playing guitar, bass and keys for probably about 30 years now. I've been in a few small garage bands, and played parties in college, but have only played out once or twice. Music is more of a hobby for me and I currently enjoy recording my own creations in my home studio.

My fiancee actually bought this sweet guitar for me for my birthday. I believe she got it at Musician's Friend. Based on what I've seen it was about $1500 for the Vintage 70's model in Natural wood tone. My favorite.

They call the finish a thinskin laquer treatment that supposedly gives a smoother tone and allows the wood to breath. Personally, I just think it looks great. I've always been a fan of natural wood styled guitars and this is no exception. I also loved the classic tone from the three single coil pickups. If you're a guitarist, you must own at least one strat. I don't care what anyone says, it's got a classic sound all it's own.

I would have preferred a maple neck. Mine appears to be rosewood, even though I think the product details claim maple. Maybe it's stained or something. Anyway, I'm all about a look when the primary tone is in place. I'm also not a big fan of the vintage trem unit.

First rate, american made guitar. Fit and finish, tone and balance. It's all there. The guitar is solid and heavy and is put together perfectly. The action is ideal for a smooth playing style.

Overall, wow, what a birthday present. It looks good, it sounds good, and plays even better. This will definitely be a nice addition to my collection. Fender can still crank out quality guitars that look and sound great. I'd give it a 5, but it would have to be perfect. Pretty darn near.

Eli Keen rated this unit 4 on 2008-04-11.