Martin LXM Little Martin Reviews 4

Purchased at the Guitar Store (or something like that) in Westminster, Colorado for around $250 for my 9 year old son who is ready to graduate from nylon strings to steel strings.

If you are looking for a compact travel guitar, or a small student guitar, this is by far the best value in my opinion.

Larry F. rated this unit 4 on 2004-06-17.

I played it at Sam Ash on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. It sells for $320.

The finish is beautiful, with rich wood grains, and the wood feels like quality material.

Quite a few things. The sound is very unimpressive, without much top-end shimmer. Martin may have been trying to achieve more bass power in the sound with this guitar, but I don't think they've succeeded. The fret hand feels crunched on this guitar; it's comparable in size to the Baby Taylor and the Baby Taylor doesn't feel like this at all.

High. Workmanship isn't the issue here.

Travel guitars necessarily entail a certain sonic compromise, but I don't see any reason I would take the Little Martin out to play because it doesn't feel or sound great. Given that choice, I'd rather buy a Baby Taylor or just bring my full-sized Martin DCX1E. The DCX1E had given me a beautiful impression of Martin guitars, but the Little Martin has shown me that not all Martins are created equal. But for high-quality materials and workmanship, I give it an extra point.

Derek Mok rated this unit 3 on 2004-02-18.