Squier VM-Jaguar Reviews 5

This is the meanest, baddest, coolest looking bass put out by Squier. Fender released a more expensive version that sold, but managed to become discontinued shortly. The Squier Jaguar is a hip looking, stripped down version of the Jag bass with block inlays and stacked pots which haven't been seen since the vintage Jazz Basses

Same old story, you go into the guitar store and get sucked in! I saw online that they were coming out and loved the rest of the Vintage Modified Series by Squier, so I knew this bass would rock. I paid $299 and even hustled a gig bag out of the store clerk for it.

It plays really well out of the box. It holds tune well. The Duncan Designed pickups are great. I have them in the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass as well. The stack pot is cool too. If you don't know a stacked pot is just two knobs on top of each other. So how that translates to the Jaguar is each pickup as its own independent volume and tone knob for endless tonal options.

The pot was noisy when I got it, but a few swift turns rapidly back and forth I was able to clean it out. So that was a free and easy fix.

The guitar felt great. The neck sat in the neck pocket tightly. The action was medium with no buzzing. The hardware isn't top quality, but it gets the job done.

This is a cool looking bass that happens to sound good. I'm not going to go gaga over it, but I've been impressed by Squier's effort to put out quality budget instruments at an affordable price.

Billy rated this unit 4 on 2010-11-08.

Bought from Murrietta GC last Thursday and it was still in the box with my name on it and a deposit slip to hold it (Thanks Mike, you know who you are!) The prices on this bass are fair-traded by Fender, so you won't get much to deal with or about. At $299.00 they are worth twice the price I feel. This is every bit as good as my Deluxe or my VM-Jazz. As for 'WHY' I wanted it - I saw it and the drooling started - so it was a shoe-in for me getting one ASAP. I am not disappointed in the least.

Well - what do I like? - looks, quality, price, name, sound/tone, color, the chrome is thick, the neck accepts a good wax and it can become very shiny if you like it that way. The knobs don't have what some have complained about so I think that might even be rough shipping to made it wacky for others. Oh, yeah - it's a Squier By Fender too - that means a lot!

Fender strings are suck-o. I saw a video of the Squier factory in Ensenada and they wind their own strings - so we can put that rumor that they are another brand (GHS? D'A?) and just replace them ASAP. I am trying to play the 7250 NPSs, and if I am successful in liking them, maybe I'll put a set of ROTO 45s on and be done with it. The red-silked 'Fender' strings are like hacksaw blades turned on end - although they are nice and bright-sounding alright! The 45s should replace them well and be a lot nicer on the fingers too.

Construction-wise - I can't find any flaws. NO fret sprout NO sharp frets NO knob nasties NO drips, bags, runs or sagging at the knees Frets are level Setup was great - but that's never a deal killer anyway. Tuners stay put and sparkle Inlays have zero filler for bad workmanship. Not chewed up Phipplips screw heads Solder joints are bright/shiny and clean Weight is PRIMO!

If you don't buy one of these basses, you'll miss a great instrument. Squier is smoking the competition (they have competition?) and they are really selling so fast that they are flying off the store hooks - if they even make it that far! The GC/Murrietta sold 100% of their Jaguars - it was to ME! Yippee! They may not get another one for a while either. When I was test-playing it in their bass room, several people saw it and asked a lot of questions. I stuck around as long as I could to help create some GAS in the store and maybe a few deposits on future shipping for this model; I hope they appreciated that.

Bass_Slinger rated this unit 5 on 2010-09-18.