Squier '51 Stratocaster Reviews 5

I BOUGHT THIS GUITAR AT DADDY'S JUNKY MUSIC IN NEW BRITAIN, CT FOR $149.00.(BLACK WITH WHITE PICKGUARD) THEY PUT IT OUT FOR SALE THE DAY I BOUGHT IT. I WAS LOOKING FOR A SQUIRE STRAT WITH A SMALL HEAD STOCK. (I HATE THE BIG 70'S ONE THEY USE NOW.) I SAW THIS '51 HANGING UP BECAUSE IT HAS A STRAT BODY WITH A TELE NECK AND A '51 P-BASS PICKGUARD, THIS MADE IT STICK OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB. I WAS INTERESTED IN THE HUMBKR/SINGLE COIL COMBO.

I LOVE THE PUP COMBO. NECK SINGLE COIL AND BRIDGE HUMBUCKER. WITH THE VOL. KNOB ACTING AS A PUSH-PULL POT, YOU CAN SPLIT THE HUMBUCKER COILS. WHAT SEEMS LIKE A TONE KNOB IS ACTUALLY A 3 POSITION PUP SELECTOR SWITCH. YOU GET 5 TONAL POSSIBILITIES WITH THIS GTR. ALL ARE MUSICAL AND VERY USEABLE. THE QUALITY ON THIS GTR. FLOORED ME AS I THOUGHT IT MAY HAVE BEEN MADE IN THE US. THE FRETWORK IS FANTASTIC, THE PICKUPS PRODUCE GOOD TONE AND SOUND. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY SELL THIS GTR. FOR $149.00. I FEEL LIKE I STOLE IT. I REALLY LIKE THE STRAT BODY WITH THE TELE NECK. I AM GROWING TO LIKE THE BIG '51 PICKGUARD. THE BLACK FINISH WAS DONE VERY WELL. THIS GTR IS SOLID, NOT MADE WITH PLYWOOD. I GET ALL THE SOUNDS I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR IE: FUNK, POP, R&B, JAZZ, ROCK TO NAME A FEW. THIS GTR SOUNDS BETTER THAN MY PRS CE22 AND IBANEZ "S" SERIES. GOING THROUGH MY MESA/BOOGIE F30 MAKES THIS GTR A REAL PLEASURE TO PLAY. HARD TALE BRIDGE.

I WISH THE STRINGS WENT THROUGH THE BODY, BUT THEY ARE ANCHORED FROM HOLES BEHIND THE BRIDGE ITSELF. THIS IS JUST A PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

THE QUALITY IS TOP NOTCH. IT WAS BETTER THAN I EXPECTED, AND I LOOKED THIS THING OVER PRETTY WELL BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. I MENTIONED QUALITY UNDER THE "WHAT I LIKE" SECTION. I HOPE ALL THE '51S ARE AS GOOD AS THIS ONE.

ANYBODY LOOKING (NEW OR SEASONED PLAYER)FOR AN ALL AROUND GTR. OF GOOD QUALITY AND VALUE SHOULD NOT PASS UP THE CHANCE TO PUT THIS GUITAR THROUGH IT'S PACES, YOU WILL BE AMAZED.

J. WHITCOMB rated this unit 5 on 2004-08-31.