Westfield Gibson SG Copy Reviews 5

I like pretty much everything about this guitar. Granted, I wasn't exactly a guitar expert when I chose this one (I only wanted a Gibson SG style guitar because Charlotte Hatherley from Ash plays an SG, and I desperately wanted to be her when I was a young girl of 12 or 13... incidently, I am a girl...) however, I am genuinely happy that I did choose this. The tone of this guitar is lovely. When used in conjunction with the correct amp (I'm mainly using a Kustom KGA16R, amongst others, at the moment) it can do nearly anything. I play mainly punk and pop-rock and it suits me perfectly. The selector switch is cool too, allowing you to switch between rhythm and lead in a quick flick... It is a very clean guitar and has made me appreciate cleanliness much more but it can also achieve a really cool, crunchy distortion as well. Also, it stays in tune for copious amounts of time, even though I am often changing the tuning of it.

There isn't a lot I dislike about my guitar. The humbuckers sound great, there's no fret buzz whatsoever and it does everything I command it to do. The only thing I don't like is the weight of the neck. It's far too heavy for the guitar and when you let go of it, it drops straight to the ground and you do have to support the neck well with your hand if you are attempting a one-string solo or something similar. Apart from that, I have no complaints :)

The quality of the guitar is fab. It looks really ace (exactly like a Gibson SG '61 Reissue) and even though I have never gigged it (hell, I ain't even in a band yet! Damn those sexist guy musicians at school!) there have been times where I have banged it fairly hard on stuff and it hasn't chipped or marked it at all, (then again, that is probably due to about ten million coats of lacquer...) it has usually been my parents' antique furniture that has suffered. I don't know what kind of strings the guitar came with but they were soon replaced with Ernie Ball Super Slinkies because I just generally prefer them.

Mo rated this unit 5 on 2004-01-02.