eVolution MK-249C USB MIDI keyboard controller Reviews 4

I needed a MIDI controller. The eVolution keyboard is exactly that. I bought the middle sized (49 key) model as the larger unit does not fit on the desk of my little home studio and the smaller unit really does not give you enough keys to press. I did not really look for many extras, but I soon found the 12 assignable rotary controllers a definite plus.

The software included is a weak point. This unit is obviously aimed at the professional market, but the software is aimed at primary school. The Reason demo was nice to play around with, but Sound Studio can not really be mentioned in the same conversation as SONAR. Installing the drivers was a headache. The guys at SONAR support however sorted my driver problem out and everything worked fine after I installed the MIDI Yoke and MIDI Ox drivers. The rotary controllers are nice, but I would have liked more than only two slider-type controllers.

The touch sensitive keyboard really feels professional. All controls are easy to use and a very quick read through the manual gets you on your way.

Anybody who needs a USB MIDI controller should take a serious look at the eVolution. Please be warned about USB. The drivers only work with a MIDI driver utility like MIDI Yoke. USB grabs a lot of CPU power. It is not possible to run a project with lots of plug-ins while the USB is switched on. To compensate, I had to increase my buffer size, which in turn increased my latency. If latency of about 60 ms scare you, then USB might not be the solution for you. I get around the problem by rendering the whole project to a single audio track before doing serious recording with the MIDI keyboard.

Eric Swardt rated this unit 4 on 2002-12-16.